Two undergraduate students will have a chance to win $1,000 at the N3Con Media Conference in Hong Kong this May 30–June 2, 2019, if they participate in the AAJA-Asia Digital Journalism Student Award 2019, sponsored by Google News Initiative. The deadline for entries is April 30, 2019.
Who are we?
Asian American Journalists Association is a non-profit organization that serves professional journalists and journalism students throughout the U.S. and Asia. Our mission includes supporting newsroom diversity, equipping students and professionals with skills to enhance reporting and ensuring fair media access.
What does the award honor?
AAJA-Asia Digital Journalism Student Award 2019 provides a platform for prospective journalists to put “new ways of storytelling” into practice by utilizing digital technology to tell stories that matter in the region.
Undergraduate students of all disciplines are encouraged to exercise their creativity and showcase their talent in using multiple mediums including but not limited to text, audio, videos and social media such as blogs, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, SoundCloud, Twitter, WordPress, and YouTube.
AAJA-Asia is looking for the most creative work that tells continuing stories and issues of how our society evolves in the physical and digital world. Creativity may be demonstrated through the use of multiple mediums and content of stories.
Who is eligible?
- Undergraduate students of all disciplines
Works must be:
- In English
- Properly attributed: Use of others’ work to support the story, including someone else’s Twitter posts, must be indicated.
- Compiled during the past 18 months, January 1 2018, to April 30, 2019
- Reported from the Asian region OR works from abroad will be considered if they address Asia-specific issues
- One entry per student
- Group submissions are accepted
- Online submissions only
- Please provide link to original sources and/or digital attachment of submission: print, video file, audio file, blog, etc.
- Please attach a one-page summary of why the entrant feels the work deserves an award and provide open source outline of how story was executed and produced. In the outline, show and tell us how professional journalists can apply the strategies, apps, functions, etc. in their own reporting
- Please CLICK HERE to download the submission form, fill it out, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark in the subject line: AAJA-Asia Digital Journalism Student Award ENTRY
- The deadline is April 30, 2019
Judging & Award:
Our volunteer judging panel from the AAJA-Asia Chapter will review all submissions to recommend two winners. AAJA-Asia Chapter board members will have final approval of winning candidates.
Prizes and Announcement of Winners
Winners will be announced ahead of the AAJA-Asia N3 Conference in Hong Kong on May 30–June 2, 2019, and the award will formally be handed out then.
Two winners each will receive $1,000 (USD), complimentary admission to N3Con and an invitation to N3Con’s VIP networking event. The winners also will receive a one-year, AAJA student membership.
Past Winner’s Work
Winner of 2018
– Angela Cheung, Hong Kong Baptist University “Swipe for the One”
Winner of 2016 – The University of Hong Kong’s “Street Wonder”
Inquiries may be sent to email@example.com.