The Asian American Journalists Association’s Asia Chapter (AAJA-Asia) is preparing, with the support of the Facebook Journalism Project, the launch of an ambitious initiative for Advancing News Diversity in Asia. As part of this project, journalists working in 7 Asian markets are invited to share their experiences in a series of online discussions starting this week.
There is momentum globally to improve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in workplaces as citizens around the world engage in dialogue on racial justice and equity, notably sparked by the #Me Too and Black Lives Matter movements in the U.S. However, DEI issues tend to be defined from a Western perspective which is not always relevant or applicable to other parts of the world.
AAJA has been advocating for Diversity for over 40 years. With the support of the Facebook Journalism Project and a wide array of partners from across the Asia-Pacific region, AAJA-Asia is preparing the launch of an initiative that aims to define Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) from an Asia perspective, raise awareness about and improve DEI in newsrooms and news coverage in Asia.
Ahead of the Advancing News Diversity in Asia (ANDA) project’s launch, we are inviting journalists working in Asia and eager to share their experiences and views about Diversity and Inclusion to apply for participating in a series of online focus group discussions that will take place in the next coming weeks – from May 22 onward – on 7 Asian markets: Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, The Philippines. South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan.
Please join the conversation! Register your interest in joining one of the upcoming focus groups:
- Indonesia Focus Group – 22 May, 9:00 to 10:30 am (Bahasa Indonesia)
- South Korea Focus Group – 29 May, 10:30 to 12:00 am (Korean)
- Hong Kong Focus Group 1 – 30 May, 10:00 to 11:30 am HKT (Cantonese)
- Singapore Focus Group 1 – 3 June, 6:30 to 8 pm (English)
- Singapore Focus Group 2 – 9 June, 6:30 to 8 pm (English)
- Taiwan Focus Group – June 4, 6:00 to 7:30pm Taipei time (Mandarin)
- The Philippines Focus Group – 5 June, 9.00 to 10:30am (English/Tagalog)
- Hong Kong Focus Group 2 – 6 June, 10:00 to 11:30 am HKT (English)
- Japan Focus Group – 29 June, 6:30 to 8;00 pm Tokyo time (Japanese)
Focus group discussions will be held in each market’s dominant language, include 6 journalists, last 90 minutes and take place fully online. Participants will receive a stipend as a compensation for their time. The inputs received will be fully anonymized and used to develop the ANDA’s research project.
This is a temporary webpage. A dedicated website for the ANDA Project will be launched soon , when the initiative officially starts. In the meantime, for any question about the ANDA project or the upcoming focus group discussions, please write to Gilles Demptos at firstname.lastname@example.org. For general inquiries: email@example.com