The Executive Leadership Program (ELP) is for any professional journalists interested in advancing their career and developing the skills to achieve their professional and personal goals. ELP is a challenging, practical and life changing experience.
This is not a business-as-usual program about how to become a better manager. It is a transformational experience program aimed at developing the next generation of diverse journalism leaders who can lead in uncertain times and build a sustainable future for journalism.
The program explores the responsibilities and challenges of a media workplace, how to lead in the changing landscape and how cultural values come into play. Experienced career coaches and senior news executives lead participants as they explore a variety of topics in a small, nurturing environment.
The trainings are highly-interactive and delve into timely discussions, such as:
- How do leadership styles across various cultures affect our work?
- Deconstructing corporate culture to inform paths to success and overcoming barriers.
- In what ways do my background and passion impact my work?
- How does digital media impact the industry and what is my role in it?
- How can I meaningfully contribute to the industry and my community?
- What lessons can be learned from established and emerging media markets?
Participants will also explore perspectives on and gain concrete approaches to:
- Diversity and culture in the workplace
- Leadership skills, styles, and opportunities
- Power, politics, and influence
- Professional and career goal setting
- Personal branding and confidence
- Negotiation tactics and applications
The 2022 ELP sessions will all be held virtually, except for the closing session that will be set up as a hybrid event: participants will have the opportunity to attend it online or in person at AAJA-Asia’s annual convention – N3Con 2022 – in Singapore.
Participants are required to attend all live sessions. They are also responsible for having all the technology needed to attend a virtual conference, including a computer, webcam and strong internet connection.
2022 Live Sessions (all times are in HKT/SGT, GMT+8):
- May 7 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Communications Style
- May 14 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Power and Influence
- May 21 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- June 11 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Negotiation
- June 18 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Networking and Branding
- July 2 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Presence
- July 16 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Career & Life Planning
- July 30 (Sat) 9am-5pm: Values & Closing
Please note that while the above dates are confirmed, the program may still vary.
ELP Asia and ELP US will take place in a similar timeframe but at different times, except for some limited joint sessions and networking events. Some ELP Asia modules are specially crafted to take into account Asia’s culture and values.