Location: Hong Kong
Storyful is the world’s first social news agency. Our team discovers, verifies and delivers the social content that matters to professional storytellers and the communities they need to engage and influence. Our team has harnessed the power of smart technology and journalistic expertise to build the first 24/7 social newsroom. Storyful gives its partners content that shapes news agendas, moves markets and sparks tomorrow’s conversations.
Storyful, an Irish startup, was founded in 2010 and is now a subsidiary of News Corporation, the global diversified media and information services company.
The ideal candidate is well-rounded journalist who holds old school journalism values and can apply those skills to social journalism. You should be able to work closely with fellow journalists to execute news discovery, verification and distribution across continents and time zones.
In Storyful, we pride ourselves in turning content into stories. The ideal candidate will be someone who is a natural storyteller with an insatiable appetite for finding compelling stories and sharing them with the world. This candidate will be working primarily with the news team, but should be comfortable with trending and viral content coverage.
Responsibilities will include
- Maintain an editorial calendar and discovery sources around a regional or beat.
- Monitoring Storyful’s feeds for emerging stories and undertaking advanced searches to discover original content
- Verifying images, posts and videos from the social web
- Writing clean, concise and accurate copy for publication in our Newswire and social platforms
- Following up directly with uploaders and sources involved in stories
- Working closely with newsroom clients and content creators
- Working to deadlines and set targets
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule in terms of days and hours.
- And any other duties set out by editorial management team
Skills and experience required
- A fluid, natural communicator who has experience writing and editing copy for publication. An excellent command of English is essential.
- A self-starting journalist who is plugged into current events around the world.
- Expert understanding of social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Google +, Tumblr, Sina Weibo, YouKu Etc.
- Ability to spot emerging stories on social media, find the source, and verify the content.
- Excellent computer skills including basic knowledge of spreadsheets and publishing within content management systems.
- Language abilities would be preferred, but not necessary.
- Video editing skills are an advantage, but not mandatory.
HOW TO APPLY
Storyful is the first social media news agency. We consider ourselves unique as a newsroom. And because of that, we want to make sure that you ‘get it’, because many people don’t. When writing to us, please tell us about a story you found through social media, how you verified it and how you added value. Secondly, you will find yourself constantly proving something is real, but also proving something is fake. Tell us about a time when you used your journalism skills to verify or debunk a complex story. Thirdly, tell us about what the proudest achievement of your journalism career is so far.
Interested candidates should send a resume, along with a cover letter outlining what you can bring to Storyful. Send to email@example.com.