With nearly one-third of membership worldwide comprised of students, AAJA makes continued efforts to provide a holistic, sustainable cycle of career development and mentoring through, fellowships and internships. Under the leadership of its Student Representative(s), AAJA-Asia offers specific programs for students with an interest in journalism based in the Asia Pacific Region.
Please check past and upcoming events below. In addition, AAJA-Asia student members are welcome to join the numerous Programs and Initiatives for students offered by AAJA in the US.
The Asian American Journalists Association Asia Chapter (AAJA-Asia)’s N3COnU Mentorship Program is a unique opportunity for students to develop reporting skills under the mentorship of industry professionals. A cohort of 10 students will participate in a series of trainings and will get to write stories covering the journalism industry and underrepresented communities in the Asia Pacific region. Top stories will be published on the website of AAJA-Asia’s New.Now.Next Media Conference (N3Con) 2023. Students and mentors selected for the program will receive complimentary registration to attend the N3Con 2023 conference on May 25-28 in Singapore.
Applications are now open here until April 7 for both mentors and mentees.
- If you are a student with an interest in journalism studying in the Asia Pacific region: This is your opportunity to enrich your CV with reporting training sessions and a story that you will write under the guidance of a professional journalist. You will also get a chance to get your story published on the N3Con.com website, a platform regularly viewed by news media professionals from across the region.
- If you are a journalist working in the Asia Pacific region. This is your chance to hone your editing skills, provide encouragements and guidance and help the next generation of professional reporters to blossom.
Key Program dates
- March 10: Applications open
- April 7: Application close
- April 10-15: Story assignments confirmed
- April 16: Digital Tools for Reporting Workshop
- April 23: Fact-Checking and Source Verification Workshop
- May 15: Deadline for Story submissions
- May 25-28: New.Now.Next Media Conference in Singapore
For more information about the program or any question you may have, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Journalism in Singapore: Making a career in the news industry
Join us for a panel discussion with journalist Nicholas Yong (BBC) and reporter JP Ong (CNBC) on navigating the news industry in Singapore, their experiences reporting, and best practices of journalism.
The event is co-organized by Yale-NUS Writers’ Centre and the Asian American Journalists Association.
Date: Tuesday, 14 March, 7:30pm to 9:00pm
Venue: Rector’s Commons (Level 22) in Saga College within Yale-NUS College
Directions/Address: Saga College has a direct entrance, here’s also the Google Maps listing for reference at 10 College Ave West, Singapore 138609.
More information and registration link here
- Fact-checking and Sources Verification workshop for Students in Journalism – Saturday 3 December 2022: By Cat Thomas, Freelance Journalist and editor
- N3ConU session at AAJA-Asia’a New.Now.Next Media Conference 2022 – Saturday 30 July 2022: By Yehoon Ahn Student, Yale-NUS College; Nile Bowie Editor & Correspondent, Asia Times; Jane Christine Zhang Former senior writer, Mothership; Sheryl Lee Co-VP for South East Asia, AAJA-Asia
- AAJA-Asia Student Mentor Match Program – Saturday 23 October 2021: By YooHee Hong, Silicon Valley Bureau Chief, NewsPicks; Kari Soo Lindberg, Reporter, Bloomberg; Sheryl Lee, Multimedia journalist, Mongabay; Rebecca Isjwara, Reporter, S&P Global Market Intelligence; Rachel Yeo, Reporter, SCMP; Holly Chik, Reporter, South China Morning Post
- Special Online Session for Singapore Students in Journalism – Saturday 11 September 2021: By Dexter Lin, AAJA-Asia Student Representative; Tom Benner, AAJA co-Vice President, Singapore and Southeast Asia; Gilles Demptos, Director for Asia Pacific, AAJA-Asia; Joon-Nie Lau, Director, WAN-IFRA APAC.
- N3ConU session at AAJA-Asia’a New.Now.Next Media Conference 2021 – Saturday 7 August 2021: By Eric Tu Co-CEO / Founder EST Media, Inc., Jaeson Ma Chairman / Co-CEO / Founder EST Media, Inc.; Kantaro Komiya Journalist, The Associated Press; Sheryl Lee Co-VP for South East Asia, AAJA-Asia; Grace Moon Global Audience Editor, The Washington Post; Kari Soo Lindberg Reporter, Bloomberg