AAJA-Asia Annual Digital Journalism Student Award
AAJA-Asia Google Digital Journalism Student Award aims to provide a platform for prospective journalists to put new ways of story-telling into practice with a mixture of digital technology and tell stories that matter in the region.
Undergraduate students of all disciplines are encouraged to exercise their creativity and showcase their talent in using multiple media including but not limited to text, audio, videos and social media such as blog, Facebook, Instagram, Storify, SoundCloud, Twitter, WordPress, YouTube.
What does the award honor?
Supported by Google, AAJA-Asia is looking for the most creative work that tells continuing stories and issues of how our society evolves in the physical and digital world. Creativity should be demonstrated through the use of multiple media and content of stories.
Who is eligible?
Undergraduate students of all disciplines
What are the requirements?
- Submit works in English
- Properly attributed: use of others’ work to support the story, including someone else’s twitter posts, must be indicated.
- Compiled during the past 16 months
- Reported from the Asia region (works from abroad addressing Asia-specific issues will be considered)
- One entry per student
- Online submissions only
- Group submissions are accepted but the prize (eg travel stipend) will be awarded to one representative
- Please provide link to original sources and/or digital attachment of submission: print, video file, audio file, blog, etc.
- Include a summary of why the entrant feels the work deserves the award and provide open source outline of how story was executed and produced.
- Show and tell us how professional journalists can apply the strategies, apps, functions, etc., in their own work.
Judging & Award
Our judging panel of three volunteers from the AAJA-Asia Chapter will review all submissions to recommend a recipient. AAJA-Asia board members will have final approval.
Announcement of Recipient
The recipient will be announced ahead of the annual AAJA-Asia New.Now.Next Conference and the award will be formally handed out then.
- US$1,000 travel stipend to attend GEN Summit
- Invitation to The Society of Publishers Awards (SOPA) in Hong Kong
- One-year student membership of AAJA-Asia
Winner and runners-up will receive one-year membership of AAJA-Asia, and top two runners-up will also get to attend SOPA awards in Hong Kong.
Students are welcome to view the work of a past recipient from the same award for professional journalists to make sense of what is required.
Click here to send your questions.